Monday, 3 June 2013

Monday Tutorial - Fancy Folds



Remember yesterday's cards?

I am going to show you how to make those fancy folds...

These cards will each fit in a normal 'letter' envelope - 4.5 x 6.5 inches.
  
For the first card - the wiper card -

Cut two pieces from a 12 x 12 sheet, 4.25 x 8.5 inches.
Cut one piece 1.5 in by 3.5 in



Score the two larger pieces at 1.5 inches and 3 inches.


Fold each with a valley and a mountain fold as shown.

  
With the small piece,
 mark 1.5 ins up from the bottom on the left hand side.
Score from this point to the corner.



Fold with a mountain fold.



Stick this with white glue as shown on the back of the front of the card.



Stick the back to the front, again with white glue, on the two 1.5 inch ends.

 
This card is now ready for embellishing - here is another example I have made for this tutorial...again using one of those pretty Studio Calico papers...



So...how to embellish it?

Using my Big Shot and a couple of dies and more Studo Calico paper
 I cut out a 'topnote' and two 'puppy dogs'.


This is the card as it is taken out of the envelope.
 I layered the dog using dimensionals and glued it on top of the topnote.
I added the embellishments as shown 
and 'hello' cut from another Studio Calico paper.


Pull the card open and up pops 'Woof' 
(printed on my computer)!





Moving on to card #2

Cut two pieces of cardstock  4.25 inches by 12 inches.



Score one piece at 1.5, 3. 4.5, 7.5, 9, 10.5 inches and fold as shown.
Score the other at 3 and 9 inches and fold as shown.



This is what they will look like from above, and how they will line up.



Punch or cut two 'windows'  from the two mountain folds
 in the piece that will end up inside 
(before sticking together!)
Stick the two pieces together with white glue on the middle section and the two end sections.
It is easiest to apply the glue then stick together with the two pieces stretched out.



Now it is time to start embellishing...
On my first card of this type, I then distressed the edges of the punched circles
 so they would stand out when attached to the centre of the card.



I also wanted to use some wood veneer embellishments but decided they needed a little more colour and sprayed them with the colour mist...


However for this tutorial I made another example of this type of card - . 

I used Mr Huey's Colour Mist (Splash) again to colour some wood veneers but also to spray over an embossed image from the lovely 'Leafy Vines' stamp.
(Embossing was done using Versamark and Zing Rose embossing powder.)



I then used this in my Big Shot to cut various shapes to decorate my card. The flower shapes I distressed around the edges with 'shabby shutters'.

This is how the card looks as it is taken from the envelope.
 You can see I have added pearls,
 ribbon (to tie it together having first punched a couple of holes),
 lace (which continues around the back),
 a matted 'square' shape which I halved, across the middle
and a flower using the cut pieces, a brad and the wood veneers.



 When the card is opened it looks like this.

This time I cut rectangular windows to see the reverse of the paper behind.

I used the same ribbon as on the front
 to suspend the wood veneers in the windows.

I used another matted square and flower from the 'Leafy Vines' embossed cardstock. I added strips of green paper at either end to 'frame' the inside.
The sentiment came from a 'Sweet Girl' paper pad and was also embellished with pearls.




So now you have seen two examples of each fold -

 how will you decorate yours??

Happy Crafting!


7 comments:

  1. Wonderful cards and fab Tutorial.Such interactive cards are fun to make and receive both !Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial. I definitely want to have a go at the second one. Love that leafy vines stamp that you used x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tutorial and thank you so much for sharing ...How cute is that dog !! Hugs Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute cards and fab tutorial, susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tutorials and thank you for sharing!

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work on those folds! I usuallu have a hard time, so thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.